Welcome to Bloomberg Law’s Wake Up Call
A daily rundown of the top news for lawyers, law firms, and in-house counsel.
Crypto Bankruptcy Fees
Crypto bankruptcy fees have topped $700 million for lawyers, accountants, consultants, and others working on five major cases, according to an analysis of court records. Sullivan & Cromwell and Kirkland & Ellis are among the biggest winners in fees that have sparked outrage from amateur traders who lost their personal savings. (New York Times)
Three Extravagant Showmen
Three extravagant showmen, all longtime trial lawyers familiar with handling cases in the press, found themselves in the Texas Capitol on Tuesday for the impeachment trial of state Attorney General Ken Paxton. Rusty Hardin and Dick DeGuerin are working as prosecutors for the Texas House while Tony Buzbee is representing Paxton. (Wall Street Journal)
Two Billionaire US Clients
Two billionaire US clients of LLP Solicitors lawyer Mayus Karia wanted to fly to his helipad at his southern England country house in Hampshire. The Winchester city council said no, saying unrestricted flights would upset the area’s rural tranquility. Neighbors argued the helicopters should use an airfield less than 10 miles away. (The Guardian)
Laterals, Moves, In-house
- Robert Klyman has joined DLA Piper as global co-chair and US co-chair of the firm’s restructuring practice in Los Angeles.
- Ravi Purohit has joined Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison as co-head of its infrastructure practice in New York.
- Michael Keilty has joined Kobre & Kim in the New York office. He joins from the Justice Department.
- Jonathan A. Danziger has joined Lowenstein Sandler‘s investment management group as a partner in New York. He joins from Glenview Capital Management.
- Arthur Coren has joined Husch Blackwell as a member of the financial services and capital markets industry group and partner in Los Angeles.
- Elaine Hughes has joined Allen & Overy in the US funds and asset management practice in the New York office. She joins from Lowenstein Sandler.
- Jim Miles has joined Foley & Lardner in its health care practice in Denver, Colo. He joins from Greenberg Traurig.
- Marisa Geiger has joined Simpson Thacher & Bartlett as an intellectual property/privacy and cybersecurity partner in the New York office.
- Adrienne Gurley has joined Venable as a partner in the investigations and white collar defense practice in the Los Angeles office.
- Daniel Hayes has joined Venable as a partner in the investigations and white collar defense practice in the Chicago office. He joins from the Securities Exchange Commission.
- Susan Rohol has joined Willkie Farr & Gallagher in the privacy, cybersecurity and data strategy, and AI and emerging technologies groups. She joins from Warner Bros. Discovery.
- Denise D. Nordheimer has joined Fox Rothschild as a partner in the taxation and wealth planning department in Wilmington, Del. She joins from The Law Office of Denise D. Nordheimer, Esquire.